Subscribe if you want more!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Moving to Perth?


Tuesday, January 22nd. Another easy day in the life of Alex and Kristi.

Kristi likes to exercise, and she also likes to spend time with me. This generally involves me getting off my lazy ass and exercising with her so that we can spend time together, and she can get her exercise. One might point out that we have the entirety of the rest of the day to spend time together. BUT, you must realize, if she exercises alone, then she gets lonely and misses me. Hmmmmm. Sounds like I am being bamboozled now that I see it in writing.

Well anyhow, it was Josh’s day off from work yesterday, and that led us down to Bondi Beach (pronounced BON-DYE) for an afternoon swim. It was about 85*F (29*C) outside, and hot as hell when in the direct sunlight. We all wore sunscreen, though I should have worn more, and we all three walked barefoot the 15 minutes to the beach. At the beach, we went for a swim, and Kristi tackled all of the much smaller waves. I saw a good looking topless sunbather, Kristi’s top got knocked around in the waves, and there were more good looking girls than any of my single friends could shake a stick at. Don’t worry about Kristi though, there were enough tanned, well muscled Australian boys running around that I might now have a better understanding of the benefits of exercise. i.e Why Kristi wants me to exercise with her.

After the swim, we walked, barefoot again, back to Josh’s place where I proceeded to look for jobs.
Until.

Well, I told myself that I would take any job that held my interest, and this one snagged it pretty well. I had high hopes to do something that I am familiar with when I got here, to make easing into the workforce a bit “easier” and those hopes panned out as well.

I got a message on Facebook from my friend stating that:

"Got a job over here for ya mate. $20-$25/hour, 40-60 hours a week. Driving trucks with boats on the back. Start immediately. Call me on 04******** asap buddy."

So I called up my friend. He responded with more of the same jabber, and told me more specifically that a friend/colleague/client of his had told him that he was having a hard time finding a decent reliable employee that could drive a truck and operate a forklift. At which point my friend mentioned that he had a guy (me) that was reliable, can do everything he needed, and would do it reliably and on time. He told me to call the guy, in 15 minutes. And so I did.

I barely had to call the guy, before I was verbally hired. The conversation went kind of like this:

Other Guy: So you’re in Sydney now?
Me: Yes, that's correct.
Other Guy: How soon can you be here in Perth?
Me: Well, I can leave anytime. Start Monday?
Other Guy: Yea, that’s good. Excellent. What will you do for accommodation?
Me: Well, my friend has spoken of that a bit, and we'll find something that will suit me, no problem.
Other Guy: O.K then. Well you can drive the Ute home (utility vehicle) on the days you work, so transportation is no worry. Yep, O.K., Alright just let me know when you get to Perth, and we'll work it out. Thanks mate!

And that how I came to be tentatively employed by the friend/colleague/client of my friend.

I start Monday. $20/hr during the week, $25/hr on the weekend. 40-60 hours a week. It's 90-100 degrees daily at the moment in Perth, so I'll be bringing my bucket of sun block with me, along with a big work had with a wide brim.
Now it’s time to learn to drive on the left side of the road, and God Forbid, learn to shift with my left hand. I think shifting will be easier, but this left hand side of the road thing… Well I suppose I just have to survive the first day!

Life is good.

--Alex


P.S. About this time, normally my Dad would quote some Dr. Joseph Murphy at me: “Money flows to me freely, copiously and endlessly”. Pg 128 The Power of Your Subconscious Mind. Or something like that…

1 comment:

  1. If you plan on moving to Perth, it is very important that you will first determine the possible lifestyle and jobs that you can encounter in the area. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this matter.

    ReplyDelete