Subscribe if you want more!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Bondi Suburbs with a view of Sydney Harbor

Hello Everyone,

The last couple of days have been a good time here in Australia, with Kristi and I coming around to the time of day, and spending much more time awake than we ever did in the States. Funny what a bit of everyday, all day sunshine can do to a person. Hell, the overcast skies here can hardly count as “Not Sunny”.

For the first two nights, we stayed with Josh at his friend’s house. The second two nights have been at his family’s home with his parents. Day 3 and 4 were more of the same. However, on day three, Josh took us down to Bronte beach for afternoon swim. It had been about 16 months since either Kristi or I have swam in the ocean, the last time being in Mancora, Peru while she visited me on my last adventure. This time, both of us sucked in a bit of air when we touched the water. I don’t know what we were expecting, but the water was colder than we thought it should be. Regardless, I picked up Kristi, threw her in the water, and waded out after Josh myself.

Big waves (little ones too) give Kristi a bit of a fright, and understandably so. The first time in her life she went swimming amongst waves, she had her ass handed to her by a monster wave at Sandy Beach, Hawaii. Since then she’s been much more respectful of the big waves. I think it was partly my fault…

Anyhow, along the walk to the beach, Josh pointed out the Blue Bottle jelly fish that littered parts of the sandy beach, and directed us not to step on them. They “sting” he said. Then it was into the sea for us. Kristi held back on shore for the first half of it, but after a while, I was able to lead her into the waves. She had the fear of god in her for a little while, which ebbed and flowed while we were out there and eventually she went back in, but it was good times all around.

Day 4 saw Kristi and I walking up to Bondi Junction. Josh’s family lives in the Eastern Suburb of Sydney called Bondi. Bondi Junction is a large metro area comprised mainly of retail outlets and other such shops. There is also a fruit market where Kristi and I found fruits to be nearly comparable to the USA, price wise. (For the Seattle area at least) So we loaded a bag up with fruit and eventually walked back to the house. But, it wasn’t long before we managed to snag some cheap Chinese takeout food from a shop, and sample and then buy some pomegranate frozen yogurt! We’re tourists for the moment after all.

Today, being Day 5 has not shown itself to be very productive physically, but that should change shortly. I have not been idle with my down time. Though I’m sure that I look quite statuesque while I stare at my computer screen, with only my fingers moving slightly, I’m actually on the hunt for jobs. Gone are the days of the paper advertisements. It’s ALL online now. And thus, I have an interview scheduled for this morning (Jan 22) with a recruitment office that specializes in finding work for Truck Drivers. Yesterday they gave me a call, asked a barrage of very straight forward questions, and told me they would call me again today for a Skype interview. Tomorrow I have another interview scheduled as well. That one being for a position as Professional Expedition Guide for a company leading treks on the Larapinta Trail near Alice Springs.

The first job pays more and is local, allowing Kristi more freedom in her choices for work. The second pays less but is more extravagant, but is also in a small town, far from everything else, and could prove difficult for Kristi to find work. However, we’re not worried. Independent of any of this, we’ll always have a good time. Should it be necessary, we’ll simply find a place to live soon, move in, pay a month’s rent, sleep, eat, swim, walk, run, climb, hike, and otherwise exercise while we keep up the search for jobs.

I had to order a camera battery charger for my Camera, and thus photos are limited at the moment. Here is a view of Sydney Harbor from Josh’s family home.



And another, zoomed in.



Keep it real everyone!


-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment